Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Grieving: What I've learned


Mom and I this past summer after one of our favorite things to do - High Tea

I read this post today, and wanted to share.  I'm still learning about grieving.  It comes in waves...usually in the early morning hours (4 - 5 am) or driving home from work.  It comes when people start talking about who has cancer.  It hits hard when someone talks about liver cancer.  Or when someone talks about my mom's memorial service.  One day, soon, I'll share that day and service with you all.

Here are some things I've learnt about grieving:
by bM contributor Toni Pearen

 1. Time passes but the days seem so slow when you're grieving. Take your time and honour yourself
and your own sadness. 

 2. Give yourself permission to grieve {or in my case a friend gave me permission...the best words spoken to me during the hardest times.} 

 3. The pain never passes but it gets easier to handle. 

 4. Seek therapy if desired or required. Sometimes you need to talk. 

 5. Don't avoid grieving. It is not something to be ashamed of. It is a part of life. 

 6. Never lose sight that life goes on and this is YOUR life to live. 

 7. Be kind to yourself and others. People grieve in different ways. 

 8. There is no remedy or ritual to make the pain stop. It's all the passing of time. 

 9. Never judge someone grieving. It is a dark place to pass through. Let them talk if they want or let
them sit and be silent. 

 10. If you are grieving, your heart will feel heavy, your body numb. The words are hard to find. Somedays you will feel sick, exhausted and unable to function. Feel assured one day you will smile and laugh again.

No comments:

Post a Comment